Module 7 Outcome A: The student will describe staff member’s responsibilities in carrying out the program’s mission statement.
170-297-1775 Basic STARS training.
170-297-1800 Ongoing training.
170-297-1820 Program provided training.
A mission statement connects this original vision or idea for the program with what the program actually does on a daily basis. Mission statements give staff and families a clear idea of how the program’s views and philosophy are part of their daily practice. It is important that all the stakeholders in the program have knowledge of and adhere to the program’s mission
In child care programs, mission statements carry great meaning and are an important part of the program. Mission statements can also be called vision statements, because they typically describe what makes a program unique or explain the overall vision of the program. Not all mission statements look alike or even contain the same information.
- Revisit the ideas of how and why the program began.
- Think about how the program should grow.
- Describe what is special and valued in the program.
- Communicate the services that your program offers to children, families, staff and volunteers.
- Include philosophies, beliefs and goals.
- Think about when you’d like to re-write or review the mission.
Once completed, programs need to decide how the mission statement will be shared. Some ideas include:
- Posting the statement in a public area in the early learning environment
- Placing it in the program’s handbook
- Printing it on flyers or forms that will be distributed to families or the public
- Adding it to the program’s newsletter or web site.
Be sure to also include it in the orientation of new families and staff and ask for feedback.
Optional Online Resource for Further Study
Coursework is submitted to us live, as you complete each page. An optional checklist is available to keep track of your progress. Use the menus to return to where you left off in the training. If you need help, click on the Student Support Chat on the bottom right corner of the page.